FOR THE LABEL AS A BUSINESS
Ok, let's start with the actual label. It's as important to have a consistent aesthetic throughout your online presence and marketing materials as it is for a business. There can be some more creative freedom here and if a festival poster and a press release are needed, for example, obviously these will differ greatly in terms of style but there should be some kind of consistency, even if it's a font, colour and/or logo.
This is firstly for the label's presence; in order to attract ambitious and promising artists, labels need to appear professional and understand each aspect of what makes an artist successful; one of those being branding and visuals.
Secondly, you want to be easily found. A simple (yet beautiful and easy to navigate) website is a must, along with at the very least a facebook page and instagram account. Social media should have maximum effort put in; this is your free marketing tool!
My tips for using social media would be:
- upload content regularly: once a day on Insta stories, 2 or 3 times a week on Facebook and Instagram
- showcase your artists and their achievements or latest releases
- share some behind the scenes sneak peeks
- share introductions to your team so future artists and fans can get to know you
- share things that relate to your values (environmental, ethical etc)
- share your achievements/statistics/successes as a label
- post content at optimum times
- use suitable hashtags to maximize reach
The good thing with social media is that having a catalogue of artists means ready made content - it just needs to be constantly shared with the world!
Similarly to businesses, having a brand visual and online presence builds trust and lets the customer/audience know what they're getting and what you have to offer.
It allows them to get to know the artists, your team and this creates memories and builds loyalty. It's a constant reminder that you're here and so are your artists.
Documenting everything and sharing it can be time consuming but social media is the audience's window into all the amazing stuff you're doing and it's such a crucial marketing tool in this day and age.