Effi Summers - Music Industry Blogger
Creative Blog- Creative Direction, Branding and Design Projects
After researching and visiting many indie labels within Copenhagen, I found that most of them don't have an in-house creative! I was surprised but also pleased (mwahaha). The music industry in Denmark is small and most things involve a very small budget but I still think there's a way to get everything one needs, for an affordable price.
Obviously bigger labels (Hi Sony, Warner and Universal) have giganta budgets and most probably specialist people for each aspect of the creative process, but they also use outside agencies for videos and the like. I think this is kinda sad. I know if it was MY label and MY artists, I'd want to know that whoever was making their videos was completely invested in them; knew them inside out, knew their audience, knew their hardcore fans and what they like/ don't like.
I think something really special can come from one person (or team) working with an artist continually (not always on every single thing but you get the idea). Assisting in their initial development and branding, helping to shape their social media following and coming up with kick ass concepts for their photo shoots and videos.
I had a think about everything I'd like to be involved in with an artist and/or label and so I decided to compile this handy list of 12 reasons why every label (big or small) needs an in-house creative.
1. they will make sure all yours and your artists' social media accounts are posted to regularly
2. they will update all social media headers/banners with every new release
3. they will create content ideas for both the label and all the artists
4. they will make graphics/gifs/videos if said content requires it
5. they will take press portrait photographs of the artists and edit them
6. they will take nice photographs of the label team for their website
7. they will design album artwork or direct outside artists to design artwork and make sure everything's signed off in time for release
8. they will help the artists define their aesthetic and style them
9. they will make music videos right through from concept to the final editing stage
10. they have innovative ideas which can be achieved on a very low budget
11. they will organise photo shoots for the artists for album covers or press
12. they will create any graphics you need, from websites to printed posters to banner adverts
13. they will create gifs for Spotify, so your releases look extra fancy
14. they will assist with A&R, artist development and branding
15. they will save you time and money by being the one person to oversee/organise all creative projects
There are different ways of doing this as well; for medium labels there could be one creative for every one, two or three artists (depending on the workload). For small labels there could be a single creative that takes on everything for all artists signed to the label. And for the larger ones, you may need a team. However it's done, I feel that this could really benefit the label and help to push the artists out to the world even more!
That's all my thinklings for now,